Sunday, February 8, 2009

R-E-C-Y-C-L-E recycle

On Saturday February 7,2009 (yesterday) I took Barkley to the beach, I really don't have to disclose the exact beach I was at. It was about 70 degrees out if you happened to step outside, clear sky's and just perfect to go walking around. I start to walk onto the beach with Barkley, take my shoes and socks off and I notice the entire beach is covered in broken glass,trash, and even full bottles. I look around and there are kids running around, dogs everywhere, but nobody seems to take the initiative to clean this polluted beach and pretend like it's not there. I know I have this Weekley Snewz to try and make people laugh and voice out my unwanted opinions on things,but somethings cant always be funny. I'm not trying to go out and change the world or anything, but I can stand by the fact that I am trying to change the way people treat Charleston beaches.

Recently I found out a guy named Cyrus Buffum moved in across the street from me on Queen and took it upon himself to be Charlestons "Waterkeeper." Which is a non-profit organization that I believe is nationwide, although he is the one to start it here and take on the responsibility. I don't know to much about it, but you can kind of get the gist of things from his title. HE CLEANS UP OUR WATERWAYS. Please visit his website to get a more intelligent and informative view on what exactly he is doing(www.waterkeeper.org) I first heard about it and pretty much was like psh, good luck buddy. But not now, not after what I witnessed and cleaned up for 2 1/2 hours when I thought I was going to enjoy the day. Charleston is surrounded by barrier islands that give us beautiful beaches where we can do those leisurely activities that we think about all winter long. I don't care if you are at the beach, on a sand bank, inlet,river mouth,creek, someones dock, on the boat whatever. If you bring trash to the beach you bring it right back to your house or wherever you came from.

It's something I don't like admitting but also something we must realize, Charleston gets A LOT of money from tourism. Sure all the history and houses and churches are all a great aspect to this city and it's something I care about just as much as anybody else. But the main thing is our BEACHES. Why would anyone want to come to the beach if the people that it matters the most to ME, YOU, US(locals) can't even keep it clean. Its a pretty dam cold winter up north and if I was there for it, I wouldn't be thinking about getting pulled around downtown by some mule. I would want my pale ass on the beach. So who wants to go to a beach when its covered in this...
Photo By: William Moore

That is my 2 1/2 hours on the beach. To you it may not look like much, but that is about fifty pounds of GLASS. Myrtle beach doesn't look so bad after all huh? Funk that. I don't want this junk on our beaches. I don't want to be picking this up everyday. I want everybody from anywhere to enjoy and see the same thing I see everyday. For OUR sake. I will leave it to PETA for the animals. There is toooo much fun to be had out there on the water or at the beach,DON'T RUIN IT ! So remember when your at the beach or anywhere else along these waters..... its alright to get drunk, but bring your trash back to the trunk!!PEACE

PS: Here is a little video that might help out all these snowbirds...
http:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEASP18Xse4&feature=related


6 comments:

  1. It's about time someone pointed out the painfully obvious...if WE (the locals) don't take care of our beaches and waterways...who will?! Thanks ATB for the time you put in yesterday...I hope you're going to start a MOVEMENT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this blog is my favorite time of day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout out! Great job taking the initiative to clean up a part of the beach... You're absolutely right that if we don't take responsibility to preserve and protect our waterways and beaches, then nobody will...

    www.charlestonwaterkeeper.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. You deserve a big Thank You. There aren't enough people like you out there, but hopefully you will start to make a difference and others will follow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. and who is the hippie faggot now? glad you caught on the bandwagon ATB SURF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally don't think he did it folks

    ReplyDelete